Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fire in the Belly

It was a few months ago when I first heard the refrain. It was a hot day, and it was an important game. I was sore and tired, and we were losing by a few points.

Fire in the belly
Fire in the belly
Fire in the belly

First, you chant it to yourself, in a voice barely more audible than a whisper – then, increasingly louder, joining your voice to those of your teammates.

We lost the game, but I don’t remember much of it, except that phrase…fire in the belly. It was my first time hearing the phrase, but I knew exactly what it meant.

Fast forward a few months later, in an entirely different context, this time listening to David McKeage, Executive Director of Brigadoon Children’s Village Society speak with a group of 21inc alumni (me included) when I caught myself saying it subconsciously: fire in the belly.

The story of Brigadoon’s is a pretty unbelievable one, but so is David’s story of passion and leadership throughout this 12+ year journey of an idea. Brigadoon Village is the result of many things, including very generous support coming from throughout the region and beyond, the time and efforts of staff and volunteers, and because of the fire in David’s (and many others’) belly.

I heard him loud and clear: Align yourself with what you know to be right.

A message that I (and you) have heard many times before, but for some reason coming from David McKeage, it felt different – more believable, more palpable.

One of my favourite teachers at school (yes, I had many), used to ask “Qu’est-ce qui te fait vibrer?”, what makes you vibrate – what makes you tick, what makes you breathe?

If you connect with that space, you’ll survive and thrive through the times when being a leader sucks, when the unexpected happens, and when the world just doesn’t appear ready for you big idea.

Quiet other people’s expectations for you and tap into the fire in your belly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment